The Austin music scene through the eyes of a programmer/music enthusiast/show-goer

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Black Angels @ The Parish, 1/21/2006

So yeah, I'm back! It was tough, but I managed to emerge from the sleepless trenches of work still alive and breathing. I even managed to make it to a show this last weekend during the chaos of it all, and damn am I glad I did. One of my local faves, The Black Angels, put on one hell of a set last Saturday at The Parish, my favorite Austin venue. The dark atmosphere of the venue in combination with the droning walls of reverb provided by the band made even a dork like me feel like I was at the hippest event in town.

Anyhow, enough with my silly attempt at describing the scene... how bout I just let these pics speak for themselves?

On the way up to the venue (cameo by Sam's shoe)

Alex Maas (aka Jim Morrison reincarnate)

Kyle Hunt rocking the floor tom

Nate Ryan on bass

Jennifer Raines and Christian Bland (who also makes
some wicked gig posters)

Kyle working the moog (+10 cred points for such a sweet synth)

The guest(?) violin player. He was very good, but isn't listed as an
official member. Also, he liked Greg's beard. Greg
really liked the fact that he liked his beard.

Jennifer on "the drone machine/organ"
(I wonder who their influences are?)

Last, and definitely not least, Stephanie Bailey on drums.
Even if she sucked on the kit, she would still be hot. However, she's
about as far from sucking as a drummer could be, which pretty
much makes her a rock goddess.

Bringin' the rock

And talk about some cool projector work via Richard Whymark

So yeah, the bottom line is that these guys (and gals) are amazing live and are not to be missed when they roll through your neck of the woods. I'll be seeing them again in February in Seattle at the KEXP John in the Morning @ Night benefit with Film School, Silversun Pickups, and others. The Angels will be headlining... and it will be awesome.

And finally, if for some reason you've been living under a rock for the last few months, check out these tracks from their KVRX local live session

3 Comments:

Anonymous sam g said...

holy lord ... nice coverage. it's almost better than actually being there. SIKE!! that sh*t was legit. if you missed it you should just jump off a bridge. and my shoe will be signing autographs upon request.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous sniper at the gates of heaven said...

the black angels are watching over you

12:13 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Brings back memories of when I saw them in Memphis around the same time ,especially the white sheet .

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home