The Austin music scene through the eyes of a programmer/music enthusiast/show-goer

Sunday, January 15, 2006

For Those Who Don't Know

For the unacquainted, it is my pleasure to introduce you to one of my favorite new Austin bands, For Those Who Know. I caught these guys for the first time at the Get Him Eat Him show last night at Beerland. Unfortunately we made it downtown in extraordinarily late fashion and arrived just as GHEH were tearing down their gear (those guys are all unbelievably young, and nice, by the way).

Bummed about missing their set, I sulked with a beer and tried to look forward to seeing a band that I practically knew nothing about. However, Adreon from Single Frame had dropped their name to me as the guys that lived next door while I was checking out some of his art a few weeks ago. He also mentioned that Sub Pop had sent down some of their cronies at some point to scope them out. With his recommendation and a sidenote like that, I was pretty confident it would be an enjoyable set.

And hot damn, enjoyable it was. I was nodding my head and tapping my foot right into the first track (a rarity for me)... and then the second... and then the third. You get the picture.

So, on to what they actually sound like. For me, they reminded me alot of one of Austin's finest, deceased rock bands, Dead Whale Tide (R.I.P... but seriously, cut the crap and get back together already). They've got a great shoegazer vibe, with shimmering, crystalline guitars and Steven Hablinski's hushed, emotive vocals, backed by solid bass lines and sharp, driving beats. In fact, I think I already like these guys better than DWT, seeing as how their songs are tighter, more focused, and have much smoother (and more frequent) transitions.

Anyhow, check out this tune below (thanks to the band for letting me host it) and then go stream a couple more at their myspace page.


If you dig, buy their self-titled EP here, released on upstart Austin label Christmas Mountain. Then, when you love them as much as I do, check them out at these upcoming shows (via The Austin Showlist):

Friday, 1/20 - Emo's w/The Ugly Beats, Faceless Werewolves, and Tran Tram

Thursday, 2/16 - Flamingo Cantina w/Single Frame, Peel, and Eagle*Seagull!!! (who are drawing comparisons to The Arcade Fire) - Damn, what I wouldn't give to be able to make this show! I'll be skiing in Canada, missing the best show lineup so far this year. You all better make it out (you know who you are).

Thursday, 3/16 - The Parlor Unofficial SXSW show w/Red Leaves, .belville, and Things That Go Pop!

Added Treat:

Check out a couple of my favorite Dead Whale Tide tracks for old times' sake:



3 Comments:

Anonymous Ru said...

Thanks for the Dead Whale Tide links, and I'll definitely try to make the For Those Who Know show while you're out of town. Thanks for the heada up, Derek!

11:06 PM  
Anonymous sam g said...

this band is ridiculous. straight legit. DWT - RIP for sho. they used to be my favorite austin band. gotta move on though. the mourning is over. haven't seen em live yet, but they could very well become the new austin fave. yayah.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous RedHaring said...

For those who don't know...I was at this show - and I was WSTAED!

Shit was good...

It was my first venture into Beerland, because I was under the impression it was just the Wolf's house (inside joke). Anyhow - its a good little place to watch a show and "For Those Who Don't Know" put on a great sounding show.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home