The Austin music scene through the eyes of a programmer/music enthusiast/show-goer

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Buy This Album Bitches:
Silversun Pickups -- Carnavas

Showgazer usually keeps it's coverage to live shows in the Austin area, but lately we've stretched our wings a little with discussions about the ACL festival and the recent fork vs SOUND team debacle. I figured I'd introduce a new section I call "Buy this album Bitches." Because in this day of downloading, sometimes there are albums you should just straight up give the band its due, and buy the damn thing.

Before Pitchfork takes it upon themselves to [possibly] ruin the budding career of L.A. rockers, Silversun Pickups, with a simple number, let Showgazer be the first to tell you that this album is f**king LEGIT.

In March I was lucky enough to catch one of the many Silversun SXSW shows when they joined KEXP's broadcast at the ACL studios. The set was fantastic, and one of my favorite performances of all of SXSW this year. They played four new tracks, which got me itching to hear the entire thing. When I finally got my hands on the entire thing I couldn't stop listening to it (to the point where I had to go into detox just so I wouldn't get sick of it).

For those that can only listen to something that's been given a rating ... I give it an 8.5 out of 10. I have no formula for that number, just that it looks impressive w/o looking too ridiculously high. I can tell you that after listening to this disc for the last couple of months it's climbed its way into my running top-5 albums of the year and is currently holding strong in spot #2 just behind the boys of Band of Horses. Sorry Silversun, I love me some BOH right now. But as for straight up rocking ... you guys (and gal) have the market cornered.

Derek snapped this at the Silversun's performance at the
KEXP John in the Morning @ Night show in Seattle.

The thing that impresses me most about this album is that even w/ a fantastic debut EP (titled Pikul) to introduce the band, this debut LP features ALL NEW songs!! This is refreshing when bands tend to recycle a good portion of their EP songs on their first proper albums. Sorry Black Angels, but I heard most of your album before it even was an album.

So speaking of all new songs ... they're all good too. The entire album is rocker after rocker, minus a couple of slower songs near the album's end, which are just as legit. 'Three Seed' is one of the slower tracks, and remains one of my favorite. I have to give the nod to 'Future Foe Scenarios' as my favorite track. Every time I listen to it I feel the need to add 30 mph to whatever the speed limit is of the road I'm currently on. That is the definition of a good song. Another song I really dig on this album is 'Little Lover's So Polite', which you can check out on the new and improved Silversun website.

This album, put out on the Dangerbird Records label, officially comes out on Tuesday, July 25th. I'll be picking up my official copy at Waterloo then. You should too.

ps. (for Silversun Pickups) you bustas better come back to Austin now that we've actually heard the album. That SXSW preview shit ain't gonna cut it. Ya heard.

UPDATE - This shit is a mere $9.99 at Waterloo. Get off your humps chumps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home