The Austin music scene through the eyes of a programmer/music enthusiast/show-goer

Saturday, July 15, 2006

LIVE: the Austin 'SOUND machine'
(sans Gloria Estefan)

Last Saturday, Austin's own SOUND team, fresh off their pounding in the caboose from the fork, played to a packed house @ Emos. I rate the show at 3.7 (on a scale of 3.875).

It was a double stage job w/ other Austin bands filling in. Inside we caught The Glass Family first. They played a pretty good set of new mixed w/ old. The alternative choice outside was The Black, who are completely horrible -- if forced to actually watch them that is. I can't handle the singer. I don't know what it is about him, but I get the urge to throw things at him until he goes away. I might actually be able to listen to the music if I didn't have to see his face. Anyway --- The Glass Fam were pretty dope. I first caught them at The Continental Club, which was a much better show. What're ya gonna do ... Emos sounds like hell. Is it possible to turn up the volume anymore guys on the inside stage? Seriously .. I don't think I got enough blood (from my ears) on my shirt.

Zykos' Mike Booher

We stayed inside to catch Zykos play a bunch of new songs. I was really looking forward to this show as I used to call the 'kos my favorite Austin band (before discovering now defunct Dead Whale Tide. WHY? WHY have you forsaken me DWT?). Unfortunately it wasn't the best, mostly because they played all new stuff. It wasn't bad new stuff, it's just always tough to get into something when you've never heard it before. But I still like me some 'kos so please keep bringin' the rock. Check out their 2 new demos on myspace here.

What Made Milwaukee Famous at ACL taping
(I think it was beer. Or Alice Cooper in Wayne's World)

Then it was outside for the end of the What Made Milwaukee Famous set. I can't really say I'm a fan of them. They write good, catchy tunes, but it's not really my bag. To be fair I haven't really given them a devoted listen yet. My lady likes the piano player. He must be dreamy. We mostly just hung on the outside edge and put away a few PBR tall-boys in preparation for the machine of sound. Which reminds me ... why is he calling them the 'SOUND machine'? Isn't it SOUND team? Yes, they are. But earlier we ran into a friend of ours at the show and asked her who she was there to see. She said the "SOUND machine," and naturally we laughed and mocked. She felt bad and said she "knew she was going to screw it up." Good times. But I kinda like it. It worked for Miss Estefan.

Finally we got to experience what a 3.7 rated album plays like live. It was LEGIT. It was my first time seeing the team of sound and it was an enjoyable experience. They ripped through most of the more upbeat tracks on the quality long player Movie Monster. They also graced us with a few tracks off of the just as quality Work EP as well.

SOUND team's Bill Baird

That Bill Baird is a force on the bass. I don't think I saw his face once since he was bouncin' all around, floppin' his locks up in his face. More than once he put a tamborine around his neck and played it by making his shoulders knock it into the microphone as he continued to grind on the bass. It was good stuff. I was boppin' my head the entire time and was sad for the show to end. I will definitely catch them when they play in Austin again. Might I suggest The Parish next time fellas. (wink wink)

1 Comments:

Blogger sam said...

happy birthday derek (you lazy, no-posting sack of shit). yayah

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home