The Austin music scene through the eyes of a programmer/music enthusiast/show-goer

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Buy This Album Bitches:
The Long Winters -- Putting The Days To Bed

I can't stop listening to this disc. It came out a few weeks back on the same day the Silversun Pickups' album did. I picked up both and they've remained mainstays in the CD changer since.

When going to see the Silversun Pickups actually, at KEXP's SXSW broadcast in March, I was chattin with mid-day show DJ, Cheryl Waters, when she introduced me to this large, burly fellow w/ interesting glasses on. "This is John Roderick," she said. "Of The Long Winters?" I replied. Indeed it was. I can't remember what we talked about. I do remember I was completely surprised that this was the man that churns out such amazingly catchy, power-pop songs.

Cheryl Waters w/ John Roderick during SXSW (photo by gregoryperez)

And Putting The Days To Bed is chalked full of hooky, can't-get-out-of-your-head songs from start to finish. Opener 'Pushover' will have you singing 'for you I'm a pushover' all day. Next track, 'Fire Island, AK', gets the most airtime on KEXP and rightly so. It's a damn good song. I could tell you about every song on this disc, but what's the use. They're all good. 'Honest', 'Sky Is Open', and 'Seven' are among my current favorites on the disc. This disc is solid all the way through and worth your investigation.

John Roderick @ Sonic Boom records (photo by gregoryperez)

The Long Winters will also be at ACL this year. I fear they won't be seen by many, however, because the scheduling geniuses behind the festival put the Winters up against uber-indie-band The Shins -- both playing on Saturday at 4:30. I'd like to meet the brains behind this scheduling conflict. Hmm...both poppy. Both quality. There's no way someone would like both of these bands. Book it. This is the worst conflict on the entire 3-day grid for me. And I said before the entire list of bands was released that one band I was most exited to see was The Shins, because I dig em and I've actually never seen them yet. That's how good this Long Winters disc is. Check that shit out. At the very least, sneak away from The Shins for a few tracks. I certainly am. And I might just stick around for the whole thing. Hopefully they are as good live as I think this album is.

7 Comments:

Anonymous high pinay said...

I read the articles and all the things here inside this blog .,I got many information that
I really need .,Thanks for sharing.,

11:51 PM  
Blogger 相約 said...

God helps those who help themselves........................................

9:58 AM  
Blogger 愛的理由 said...

Everyone fastens where there is gain.........................................

12:57 AM  
Blogger 簡單生活 said...

以簡單的行為愉悅他人的心靈,勝過千人低頭禱告。........................................

2:24 AM  
Anonymous オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

10:27 PM  
Blogger 天空天來 said...

GOOD........................................

6:01 AM  
Blogger 生氣 said...

If you can not be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.............................................

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home